Your body requires a wide range of nutrients for optimal health, recovery, and wellness.
While you have likely heard about protein, carbs, and fats and their importance to good health, you might not be as familiar with electrolyte supplements and drinks.
Electrolytes are just as crucial to your well-being. This article review will help you understand what they are, why you need them, and explain some crucial facts regarding electrolytes.
I will review three electrolyte drink supplements that I have personally tried and I have tested to work.
But let’s first see and understand what electrolyte supplements and drinks are.
What Are Electrolyte Supplements?
Electrolytes are certain chemicals present in your body that have many crucial functions - from heartbeat regulation to allowing muscles to contract so a person can move.
The major electrolytes found in the body are listed below.
An electrolyte imbalance can cause various severe negative symptoms because electrolytes are crucial nutrients that help stimulate nerves throughout the body and balance fluid levels.
You can obtain electrolytes from foods rich in minerals or by taking certain electrolyte supplements or drinks because you lose them partially through sweating, exercise, and urinating.
This is why exercising, a poor diet, and being sick are possible causes of an electrolyte imbalance.
Drinks that contain electrolytes are generally considered one of the fastest and easiest ways to increase the number of electrolytes in your body.
However, it can be difficult for some people to figure out which drinks are the most effective and efficient.
The most well-known over-the-counter drink is Gatorade. This has been around for decades and is available in various flavors and sizes. However, others have entered the market in recent years, each with its benefits.
This includes flavor varieties that you might find more pleasing. You can also make your electrolyte beverages at home. If you choose this route, you will need to make sure you use a high-quality recipe and ingredients.
Product Reviews: 3 Electrolytes Drinks I Have Tried
1. NOW Foods, Effer-C, Effervescent Drink Mix
What I Love:
- A proprietary blend that's loaded with the essential vitamins and minerals necessary to support optimal wellness.*
- Provides 1,000 mg of vitamin C, including Transport C-PLUS, a buffered form combined with alpha-lipoic acid (known to help the body regenerate vitamin C) for fast assimilation.
- Halal, Kosher, Vegan, Soy Free, Gluten Free, GMP Quality Assured.
If you're seeking a healthy way to energize yourself and restore electrolytes, you might consider trading in those mainstream sports beverages for Now Foods Effer-C Effervescent Drink-Mix.
With a thousand milligrams of vitamin C packed into the formula, this is a drink mix that should tick all the boxes of even the most health-conscious individual.
There are several essential antioxidants and minerals included in the core ingredients and several delicious flavors such as lemon-lime and elderberry.
If you've been trying to take better care of yourself, but plain old water isn't cutting it, this is one of the best alternatives.
What Does NOW Foods Effer-C Product Include?
- 1,000 mg of Vitamin C
- Energy and Immune System Support
- Vital Electrolytes
- Plus Vitamins and Minerals
- Made with Real Fruit
- A Dietary Supplement
- GMP Quality Assured
2. Ener-C, Sport, Electrolyte Drink Mix
What I Love:
- Ener-C Sport Drink Mix Powder can be used before, during, or after your workout to help refuel and replenish electrolytes so you can perform at your best.
- Ener-C Sport Electrolyte Packets are made with real fruit juice powders. Ener-C Sport is NON-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- Ener-C Sport Electrolyte Packets are low sugar and caffeine-free replacement for sugar-filled electrolyte and sports drinks.
The Ener-C Effervescent powdered drink mix is a health supplement designed to boost your energy levels, support the immune system, and improve your general health.
Ener-C electrolytes drink non-GMO ingredients for all-natural health benefits.
What Does Enter-C Product Contains?
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
- Mineral Ascorbates
- 25 nutrients
- Non-artificial coloring
Enter-C electrolyte drinks also contain other non-active ingredients that aid the function of the active ingredients.
Ener-C includes 30 packets of 9.2 oz of the supplement.
The supplement is meant for adult use only, owing to its potency. Additionally, for the best results, it is advisable to consume the Ener-C while eating regular meals or right after taking your meals.
3. Nuun, Hydration, Immunity, Effervescent Immunity Supplement
What I Love:
- Nuun is packed full of hydration-boosting electrolytes, free-radical fighting antioxidants, and internal recovery anti-inflammatories. Includes zinc, turmeric, elderberry, ginger, and echinacea.
- Athletes love Nuun Immunity for its post-workout recovery benefits. Nuun Immunity provides an athlete's system with the support it needs to stay healthy and perform.
The Nuun, Hydration, Immunity, Effervescent Immunity Supplement is a fantastic way to keep yourself both energized and hydrated healthily.
The ingredients are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and many common fillers used in other similar products.
Its green tea-based formula might even help you shed a few calories over the day. Best of all, there are several flavors to choose from.
If you're sick and tired of crashing and burning after sodas or energy drinks, this may be the supplement you need to keep you going throughout the day.
What Does Nuun, Hydration, Immunity, Effervescent Immunity Product Include?
- Includes 10 Tablets
- B Vitamins
- Low Calorie
- Clean Sport
- Natural Flavor
Why Do We Need Electrolytes in Our Body?
An easy way to remember what electrolytes are is that they are primarily minerals. The most well-known of these is sodium, though much more are just as essential to your body.
All the cells in your body need electrolytes to function well. The name is related to their function to promote good electrical currents in your system.
The central nervous system needs these to operate well. While most folks think of the electrical systems in their homes and office buildings when the word "electric" is mentioned, that is only part of the story.
Electrical currents happen throughout nature, including in your nervous system. Your major organs and other tissues also have electrical impulses that must be adequately maintained to enjoy good health.
You may not have considered this before, but missing any of the major electrolytes in your body can cause significant health problems.
Most of the health issues you would have with the lack of electrolytes would be the heart.
This is one of those organs that is very demanding in the way of electrolytes, and if they run out of the electrolytes, it will cause some different arrhythmias of the heart.
A not-so-common arrhythmia can happen because of the lack of magnesium in the body, and when it is treated, it will be Torsades de Pointes.
This condition is not common, and it happens when there is not enough magnesium; it is treated by giving people magnesium sulfate.
Which Are the 7 Major Electrolytes and How They Function?
Although there are dozens of electrolytes, there are seven that are considered significant.
This is because your body needs them in the highest quantities, and their lack will show quickly in how you feel.
- Sodium is at the top of the list of essential electrolytes. While most think of salt as bad, your body needs it. The problem many people face is too much of poor quality. However, electrolyte drinks provide a better balance than just sprinkling a bunch of salt on your dinner.
- Chloride is next on the list, and it is just as crucial for ensuring that your body has the proper pH balance and maintaining the fluids in your body. It is also found in table salt.
- Potassium helps with several things, including keeping your heart beating correctly. Your muscle function is dependent on multiple things, including potassium. This is considered one of the most important things your body requires for proper neuron transmission. While excessive magnesium in your diet can be dangerous, that rarely happens. The fact is that most people don't get enough of this vital mineral. However, it helps to keep your immune system healthy and plays an essential role in stabilizing your blood sugar levels. Children require it for the proper formation of their bones and teeth.
- Calcium is needed for your bones, blood, and more. It helps blood clot after an accident and aids muscle contraction.
- Phosphate helps strengthen your bones and aids in building up your cellular membranes. Additionally, it is used to grow and repair the tissues in your body. Phosphate is an electrolyte needed to maintain appropriate balance, or you will not have the energy production you need. So this is one of the elements you need to replenish quickly.
- Bicarbonate not only is indicated in homeostasis but also helps with lung function and much more. Without it, your pH balance will go out of whack, creating significant health issues.
Which Foods Are High in Electrolytes?
There are all kinds of foods that you can eat in addition to electrolyte supplements. It would be best if you ate a wide variety of them to help ensure you have a healthy balance of electrolytes in your body.
- A few of the things that can help with this are corn and carrots.
- Additionally, apples, beets, and green beans can do wonders to boost your electrolyte levels.
- Other food sources include several types of citrus, including limes and lemons.
- Alternatively, you can cook a sweet potato or munch on some artichokes.
- Tomatoes and squash varieties are also excellent foods to keep your electrolytes in check.
What Are the Symptoms of Electrolyte Imbalance?
If you are not consuming adequate levels of electrolytes, it can wreak havoc on your body.
One of the most common symptoms of electrolyte imbalance is an irregular or speeding heartbeat.
Additionally, you might experience fatigue or lethargy. This can be at the same time or independent of each other.
Many folks with insufficient electrolytes in their body also feel sick to their stomach, which may be accompanied by vomiting.
While there are potentially other causes of diarrhea and constipation, electrolyte deficiency is near the top of the list.
As you can see, electrolytes play a vital role in your body. You must consume enough of them every day.
You shouldn't think you can down a bunch of electrolytes drinks and then be set for a few days.
Make sure you eat and drink the right amounts of electrolyte-rich daily for optimal health.
Make sure you take advantage of high-quality electrolytes and keep track of your progress.
Those who exercise or sweat a lot are more prone to imbalances, so check with your doctor to determine if you are deficient.